Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Enlightenment




I started this Memorial Day Weekend by shopping.  I was thrilled at the great sales and the additional discount I would receive with my Military ID card.  Even as I drove home Saturday and saw all the beautiful flags lining the streets, I was just excited about my incredible bargains.  Sunday, after a short discussion about our country and the reason for Memorial Day in Sunday School, I was ashamed I had been so shallow.  I take so many things for granted.  My husband serves as a member of the Army National Guard.  No, he is not in Iraq, nor has he been there… yet.  But he has made a commitment to go if he is called on to do so.  He spends many hours each week and at least one weekend each month training so that will be prepared to go.  He does this on top of his other responsibilities to finish school, provide for his family, and be an active husband and father. 

We truly live in a chosen land that has been miraculously preserved and blessed by the hand of the Lord for centuries, even millennia.  But we will not continue to be so blessed unless we live our lives in accordance with the will of the God of this land-even God, in whom we Trust.  As I see flags while driving down the street on our way to enjoy our “holiday”, I chose from now on to take a moment and really appreciate what all the men and women in our military have done for us.  I chose to take a moment and think about what small part I can play in keeping our freedom.  All the fighting and sacrifices of the thousands of soldiers and families doesn’t do us any good if we neglect the freedom they have fought for.  I chose to SHOW my gratitude for our freedom, not only by flying our country’s flag, but by being a responsible citizen, by choosing to be an active parent, by obeying the speed limit, by picking up trash, by going to vote!  Instead of grumbling about how our government has gone to the dogs, I chose to get up and do something about it.  “Of the People… By the People…For the People…”  This is our Nation and if we stop caring about its history and its future, God will stop caring too.

I honor the Soldiers today, from the Revolutionary War to the present War in Iraq.  I honor those soldiers and their families who have made innumerable sacrifices; sacrifices of time, energy, sweat, tears and even their very lives.  I honor my husband.  I honor their service and their sacrifice for my freedom.


No comments: